MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The 30th-ranked Sewanee women's tennis team took down Centre College, 5-1, in the championship match of the 2019 Southern Athletic Association Women's Tennis Tournament on Sunday from the Adams Tennis Complex.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP
Final Score: Sewanee (17-8) 5, Centre (10-8) 1
Sewanee Athletics Social Media | Twitter/Instagram: @SewaneeTigers
Tennis Social Media | Twitter: @USouthTennis | Instagram: @Sewanee_Tennis
-Catherine Owen at the No. 1 clinched the match for Sewanee, taking down Katharine Sherman, 6-4, 6-4.
-Sewanee collects its seventh consecutive Southern Athletic Association Tournament Championship on Sunday, and the program has won their 13th conference title in program history.
1. Catherine Owen (SEWANEE) def. Katharine Sherman (CENTRE-W) 6-4, 6-4
2. Ellie Czura (SEWANEE) def. Neha Rao (CENTRE-W) 6-2, 6-4
3. Mary Jane McCaghren (SEWANEE) vs. Abigail Kent (CENTRE-W) unfinished
4. Maura McCrary (SEWANEE) def. Caroline Stallings (CENTRE-W) 6-3, 6-2
5. Jordan Besh (SEWANEE) vs. Hannah Doherty (CENTRE-W) unfinished
6. Caroline Adams (SEWANEE) vs. Emily Zelichenok (CENTRE-W) unfinished
1. Neha Rao/Hannah Doherty (CENTRE-W) def. Ellie Czura/Catherine Owen (SEWANEE) 8-4
2. Maura McCrary/Mary Jane McCaghren (SEWANEE) def. Caroline Stallings/Abigail Kent (CENTRE-W) 8-1
3. Caroline Adams/Sara Thompson (SEWANEE) def. Emily Zelichenok/Katharine Sherman (CENTRE-W) 8-6
Earning the automatic qualifier, Sewanee will next participate in the NCAA Tournament. The Tigers will make their 26th appearance in the national tournament and the seventh in a row.
The NCAA will announce selections for the team tournament on Monday, May 6. The individual selections will be announced on May 8.