NASHVILLE - The 12th-ranked Sewanee women's tennis team concluded play at the 2019 Intercollegiate Tennis Association Indoor National Championships Sunday with a 5-4 loss to the No. 9 Massachusetts Institute of Technology from the Adams Tennis Center in Murfreesboro.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP
Final Score: MIT (2-2) 5, Sewanee (3-4) 4
Sewanee Athletics Social Media | Twitter/Instagram: @SewaneeTigers
Women's Tennis Social Media | Twitter: @USouthTennis | Instagram: @Sewanee_Tennis
-Owen and Czura recorded wins in singles as well. At the No. 1 flight, Owen defeated No. 30 Libby Rickerman with a come-from-behind victory, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.
-Czura won the No. 2 position with a sweep of Ashley Teng, 6-1, 6-3.
-The match would come down to the No. 3 flight thanks to McCaghren forcing a third set against Lara Rakocevic.
1. Catherine Owen (SEWANEE) def. #30 Libby Rickeman (MIT) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Ellie Czura (SEWANEE) def. Ashley Teng (MIT) 6-1, 6-3
3. Lara Rakocevic (MIT) def. Mary Jane McCaghren (SEWANEE) 6-3, 6-7, 6-2
4. Amber Shen (MIT) def. Sara Thompson (SEWANEE) 7-5, 6-1
5. Megan Guenther (MIT) def. Haley Tucker (SEWANEE) 7-6, 6-1
6. Vanessa Kitova (MIT) def. Caroline Adams (SEWANEE) 7-5, 6-4
1. Catherine Owen/Ellie Czura (SEWANEE) def. Libby Rickeman/Lara Rakocevic (MIT) 8-6
2. Mary Jane McCaghren/Maura McCrary (SEWANEE) def. Marina Zhang/Megan Guenther (MIT) 8-7
3. Amber Shen/Ashley Teng (MIT) def. Sara Thompson/Caroline Adams (SEWANEE) 8-4
The Tigers are back at home Monday with a match against Wittenberg.