CLAREMONT, Calif. / FULLERTON, Calif. - The 12th-ranked Sewanee men's tennis team earned a split of the final day of its spring break trip, defeating No. 24 Denison, 5-4 and Hope International, ranked 17th in the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA), 8-1, Tuesday.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP
Final Score, Match 1: Sewanee 5, Denison (4-4) 4
Final Score, Match 2: Hope International (14-2) 8, Sewanee (10-5) 1
Sewanee Athletics Social Media | Twitter/Instagram: @SewaneeTigers
Men's Tennis Social Media | Twitter: @USouthTennis | Instagram: @Sewanee_Tennis
-In singles, the Tigers were downed at the No. 1 and No. 3 flights, but rallied to win four points to take the match.
-Ryan Olps won the point thanks to McGuigan retiring from the point.
1. Vlad Rotnov (DENM) def. Andres Carro (SEWANEE) 6-4, 6-1
2. Jack Gray (SEWANEE) def. Mitchell Thai (DENM) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Tim Cianciola (DENM) def. Brandon Kali (SEWANEE) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jordan Brewer (SEWANEE) def. Kevin Brown (DENM) 6-1, 6-4
5. Ryan Olps (SEWANEE) def. Patrick McGuigan (DENM) 7-6, retired
6. Jack Metzger (SEWANEE) def. Jacob Dennen (DENM) 6-2, 6-2
1. Mitchell Thai/Tim Cianciola (DENM) def. Jordan Brewer/Hayden Loeb (SEWANEE) 8-6
2. Kevin Brown/Blake Burstein (DENM) def. Jack Gray/Andres Carro (SEWANEE) 8-6
3. Brandon Kali/Jack Metzger (SEWANEE) def. Patrick McGuigan/Brian Weisberg (DENM) 8-4
HOW IT HAPPENED, HOPE INTERNATIONAL
-Against the Royals, the home team swept doubles play before taking five of six singles results.
-Fletcher Kerr won his singles matchup over Aleks Trifunovic, 6-4, 6-4, to avoid the shutout.
1. Kyle Rae (HIU) def. Aubrey Davis (SEWANEE) 6-0, 6-2
2. Fletcher Kerr (SEWANEE) def. Aleks Trifunovic (HIU) 6-4, 6-4
3. James Zhang (HIU) def. Dane Hawthorne (SEWANEE) 6-1, 6-2
4. Antoine Voisin (HIU) def. Thomas Harrison (SEWANEE) 6-2, 6-2
5. Eason Sun (HIU) def. Ryan Wax (SEWANEE) 6-1, 6-0
6. Sergio Romero (HIU) def. Mac McCullough (SEWANEE) 4-6, 6-3, 13-11
1. Kyle Rae/Antoine Voisin (HIU) def. Aubrey Davis/Thomas Harrison (SEWANEE) 8-3
2. Sergio Romero/Aleks Trifunovic (HIU) def. Fletcher Kerr/Mac McCullough (SEWANEE) 8-6
3. Jayke Ancheta/James Zhang (HIU) def. Ryan Wax/Hamza Khan (SEWANEE) 8-1
Sewanee will return home for a four-match homestand, beginning March 26 with No. 25 Kalamazoo.