STONE MOUNTAIN, Ga. - The Sewanee men's golf team concluded the regular season over the Easter weekend with an eighth place finish at the Discover Dekalb Emory Invitational at the Smoke Rise Country Club.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT
Sewanee Men's Golf: Finished in a tie for eighth of 14 teams (894 | 292-306-296)
Sewanee Athletics Social Media | Twitter/Instagram: @SewaneeTigers
Golf Social Media | Twitter/Instagram: @SewaneeGolf
1. No. 2 Huntingdon (865 | 289-289-287)
2. No. 1 Emory (878 | 294-287-297)
3. No. 6 Guilford (880 | 287-301-292)
4. Emory (B) (884 | 306-288-290)
5. St. John's (Minn.) (886 | 301-291-294)
6. Wisconsin-Eau Claire (888 | 305-287-296)
7. No. 20 Oglethorpe (889 | 299-301-289)
8. No. 18 Greensboro (894 | 299-300-295)
Sewanee (894 | 292-306-296)
10. No. 17 LaGrange (902 | 299-302-301)
11. Piedmont (905 | 302-300-303)
12. Skidmore (941 | 315-312-314)
13. Ohio Wesleyan (959 | 319-314-326)
14. Ferrum (1,029 | 344-351-334)
-After a third place finish in the opening round on Saturday morning, with a 292, Sewanee struggled on the next 18 holes in the tournament with a 306 score to drop them to seventh on the leaderboard.
-On Sunday, the team rallied with a 296 to finish in a tie with Greensboro for eighth place.
-Tommy Oliver led Sewanee with a +5, 218 (69-77-72) for a tie for 10th place overall. The junior, in the opening round fired a -2, 69 thanks to six birdies.
-However, in the second round Saturday afternoon, he was unable to rebound from a triple bogey on four and a double bogey on 16, finishing with a +6, 77, and falling from the top two to 12th.
-Thanks to an eagle on 10 in the final round on Sunday, he finished with a 72, one over par for the 218 score.
-Basil Boyd earned a tie for 20th with 223 score (75-74-74). Finishing with eight birdies on the weekend, the sophomore moved up three spots to secure a top-20 finish.
-Gray Matthews fired a 225 (75-78-72) for a tie for 30th.
-Zack Russell (228 | 73-77-78) and Nic Vandeventer (245 | 83-80-82) rounded out the Sewanee scoring.
-As an individualist, Michael Olmsted scored a 227 (73-81-73) to finish in a tie for 37th.
The Tigers will gear up for the 2019 SAA Championships in Dickson, Tenn. at the Greystone Golf Club this weekend. The first round begins on Friday.