CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. - The 17th-ranked Sewanee women's tennis team finished the weekend at the 2018 Intercollegiate Tennis Association Women's Indoor National Championships with a fifth place finish by defeating No. 12 Washington & Lee, 5-0, Sunday morning from The Baylor School.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP
Final Score: No. 17 Sewanee (8-1) 5, No. 12 Washington & Lee 0
Sewanee Athletics Social Media | Twitter/Instagram: @SewaneeTigers
Women's Tennis Social Media | Twitter: @USouthTennis | Instagram: @Sewanee_Tennis
-In singles, No. 32 Owen defeated Lily Horsley, 6-4, 6-4 to help secure fifth place in the championships.
-The fifth place finish is the second-highest for the women's program at the annual event, with the highest coming in 2016, when Sewanee finished third.
1. Michelle Fleenor (WLUW) vs. #38 Clementina Davila (SEWANEE) unfinished
2. Valerie Marshall (WLUW) vs. Christina Merchant (SEWANEE) unfinished
3. Ellie Czura (SEWANEE) def. Emily Kochard (WLUW) 6-1, 7-5
4. #32 Catherine Owen (SEWANEE) def. Lily Horsley (WLUW) 6-4, 6-4
5. Mary Hampton McNeal (WLUW) vs. Haley Tucker (SEWANEE) unfinished
6. Lauren Hassell (WLUW) vs. Darby Duval (SEWANEE) unfinished
1. #14 Clementina Davila/Catherine Owen (SEWANEE) def. #16 Michelle Fleenor/Lauren Hassell (WLUW) 8-3
2. Christina Merchant/Ellie Czura (SEWANEE) def. Valerie Marshall/Lily Horsley (WLUW) 8-5
3. Sara Thompson/Bea Benavides (SEWANEE) def. Emily Kochard/Anna Kreynin (WLUW) 8-2
Sewanee will next open Southern Athletic Association play on March 10 with a trip to Centre College.