Men’s Lax Overcomes Fourth Quarter Rally by Southwestern, Win in Overtime

Men’s Lax Overcomes Fourth Quarter Rally by Southwestern, Win in Overtime

SEWANEE, Tenn. - Southwestern forced overtime with two late goals in the fourth quarter, but the Sewanee men's lacrosse team held possession from the faceoff of the overtime period to the game-winning goal by Jimmy Parker with 1:10 left in the period. Sewanee defeated Southwestern, 9-8, Sunday afternoon at historic Hardee-McGee Field at Harris Stadium.

Final Score: Sewanee (2-1) 9, Southwestern (1-3) 8 (OT)
Sewanee Athletics Social Media | Twitter/Instagram: @SewaneeTigers
Men's Lacrosse Social Media | Twitter/Instagram: @SewaneeTigerLax

-The Pirates opened the contest with two goals in the first six minutes. Sewanee responded with goals by Hayden Hunt and Mitchell Ryan to even the score at two goals apiece.

-The Pirates responded with a goal to take a 3-2 lead into the second period, where they added to their lead with a goal with 9:28 left.

-Sewanee responded with a goal by Thomas Lynde with less than three minutes to go. During the play, a cross-check penalty was issued on Southwestern, and the home team took advantage with a man-up goal eight seconds later to even the score at four apiece at intermission.

-The visitors broke the tie with a goal with 9:38 to go in the third period, but Sewanee responded again with goals late in the quarter.

-After a holding penalty by Southwestern, Sewanee claimed another man-up goal off the stick of Daniel Burnum with 1:46 left in the period.

-40 seconds later after Ryan Stubits won the faceoff, Hunt found the back of the cage to give Sewanee the 6-5 lead after 45 minutes.

-The Pirates tied the matchup back up with a goal at the 11:16 mark. 25 seconds later, the Tigers retook the lead after a Stubits faceoff win. Jake Vaughn scored to make it 7-6.

-Sewanee added an insurance goal a few seconds later off the stick of Thomas Lynde from Jake Vaughn.

-The Pirates added two key goals late in the fourth to force overtime.

-Stubits won the faceoff to start the extra period. After four shot attempts by Sewanee, the fifth was the charm. With 1:10 left in the period, Jimmy Parker scored the game-winner.

-Hayden Hunt, Thomas Lynde and Daniel Burnum netted two goals each for Sewanee in the win.

-Wil Friedman scooped up six ground balls for the Tigers.

-Ryan Stubits, who took the faceoff win in overtime to help seal the win, claimed 14 of 20 faceoffs with eight ground balls.

-Tal Wharton (1-0) earned the win with 62:50 in the cage, saving 15 shots.

-Matt Amerie and Logan Spalding scored twice for the Pirates.

-Kyle Kuberski (1-3) saved eight shots for Southwestern.

Sewanee returns to the road next weekend to take on No. 18 Roanoke. Faceoff is scheduled for Saturday at 2 p.m. ET / 1 p.m. CT.

For the latest news on the Sewanee Tigers, follow @SewaneeTigers on Twitter and Instagram, and like us on Facebook.