Tigers fall just short in a weather-delayed NCAA Tournament contest at No. 16 Lynchburg

Tigers fall just short in a weather-delayed NCAA Tournament contest at No. 16 Lynchburg

LYNCHBURG, Va. (May 10, 2017) – No. 16 ranked Lynchburg overcame multiple weather delays that lasted over two hours to rally past the Sewanee men's lacrosse team 14-12 during second-round action of the NCAA Tournament at Shellberger Field.

Lynchburg advances to the third round of the tournament where they will take on No. 6 ranked York. Despite their best showing in the NCAA Tournament in program history, the Tigers' season ends with a 10-7 record.

Prior to the first weather delay, the Hornets were rolling. Lynchburg scored the first two goals with less than five minutes off the clock. After Lynchburg scored its second goal, Sewanee answered back after the initial long break. From X, Hayden Hunt cut the Lynchburg lead to one.

The Hornets answered back with three straight goals, two from Andrew Thomas, and one from Kevin Rogers.

Quickly down 5-1, Sewanee closed the first as Peter Brown cut the deficit to three.

Lynchburg answered back to start the second when Thomas scored again. After Sewanee responded with a successful shot from Kip McGuire, Lynchburg added another goal with 3:35 left before halftime. However, just when it looked like the Hornets would start to pull away, lightning again struck in the area, which forced a second weather delay.

Out of the break, Sewanee took over. A goal by Hunt sparked a 5-0 Tiger run that lasted until 12:35 left in the third quarter. During that stretch, Hunt, Cameron Acuff, and Brown all scored. In fact, Brown scored three straight goals which gave Sewanee its first lead of the contest at 8-7.

Lynchburg finally slowed the Tigers' momentum when Logan Adams found the back of the net for the first time. Minutes later, LC retook the lead after Harrison Brennan ripped a low shot past Sewanee keeper Selby Austin.

Sewanee answered back when Tyler Calnan fired home a high shot after he entered during an offensive change.

After a late Lynchburg goal in the third, Sewanee tied the contest again early in the final quarter. Jake Chintz ripped home his first goal of the night with only 39 seconds off the clock.

Unfortunately, Lynchburg found its rhythm over the next 10 minutes. The Hornets scored four of the next five goals. The lone Sewanee goal during that stretch came from long-stick defender Stewart Roddey after a faceoff win.

Down 14-11 with 5:00 minutes to play, Sewanee did not quit. On the ensuing Sewanee offensive possession, Hunt answered with an athletic shot around the crease.

However, needing to keep possession, Sewanee could not get the ball down the stretch. Lynchburg won the ensuing faceoff and was able to run out the clock.

Overall, Sewanee outshot the Hornets 33-31. The Tigers also won more faceoffs as Cason Liles and Ryan Stubits combined to go 17-for-29.

Individually, Brown was outstanding. The junior finished with four goals, one assist, and two groundballs. Hunt also played well with a hat-trick on five shots.

In goal, Austin closed out a remarkable career with 10 saves while Wil Rainer, George Pratt, Joe Randazzo, and Cal Pearce all finished with multiple groundballs.

Thomas led Lynchburg with five goals on five shots. The majority of those shots came from Adams, who finished with a goal and a game-high seven assists.

For more information on Sewanee Athletics, please visit www.SewaneeTigers.com. You can also check the Tigers out on TwitterFacebookYouTube, and Instagram.