After a slow start, Sewanee’s comeback falls short on Homecoming against Millsaps

After a slow start, Sewanee’s comeback falls short on Homecoming against Millsaps

SEWANEE, Tenn. (Nov. 5, 2016)  Despite a career-high 250 passing yards and three touchdowns from freshman quarterback Sam Hearn, the Sewanee football team could not complete a comeback on Homecoming, Saturday, as the Tigers fell just short to conference foe Millsaps, 33-30, at historic Hardee-McGee Field at Harris Stadium.

The loss dropped Sewanee to 0-9 this season while the Majors earned their third victory in 2016.

After Millsaps forced a Sewanee punt on the Tigers' first possession, Millsaps went to work. Starting the drive on its own four-yard line, Millsaps quick drove down the field. Quarterback Ty Proctor found receiver Rashad Sims for a 60-yard gain on second down. Seven plays later, Millsaps scored its first touchdown when Proctor rolled out and tossed a 28-yard touchdown pass to Ty Durham on fourth and 19.

On Sewanee's next drive, safety Tyrone Howard picked off Hearn at the Sewanee 43 and raced into the end zone which pushed the Millsaps lead to 12-0

The score remained 12-0 until midway through the second quarter. Sewanee kicker Michael Jacobs made a 24-yard field goal which capped off a 16-play, 58-yard drive for the Tigers.

Both teams then found the end zone the next two drives. Millsaps pushed its lead to 19-3 when Taz Watson scored from four yards out. Sewanee answered back as Hearn tossed a 30-yard score to his older brother Steven Hearn on fourth and four.

Unfortunately, Millsaps added one late touchdown right before halftime. The Majors drove 56 yards on four plays in only 44 seconds to push their advantage to 26-16. On first and 10 from the Sewanee 34, Proctor found receiver Beau Wells on a post across the middle with only 12 seconds left in the half.

Down, but not out, Sewanee responded in the third quarter. Hearn found his brother again on a 55-yard strike on the Tigers' second possession of the third. After forcing Millsaps to turn the ball over on downs, Mikey Plancher then ran in from five yards out which pulled Sewanee to within three, 26-23.

Millsaps finally slowed the Tiger momentum midway through the fourth quarter. Watson plunged in from one yard out with 9:07 to play. However, Sewanee answered back again. This time, it was Hearn to Allan Puri on a 42-yard touchdown pass on another fourth down with 2:11 left.

Sewanee then recovered the ensuing onside kick with just over two minutes to play. Unfortunately, Reid Evans forced a Hearn fumble after the Tiger quarterback was forced to scramble. That gave Millsaps the ball back at midfield with 1:26 remaining. From there, Millsaps ran out the clock.

Overall, both teams were close statistically. Sewanee finished with 311 yards of total offense while Millsaps gained 326 yards.

Individually, Steven Hearn finished with six catches for 107 yards and two scores while Puri added 69 receiving yards and a score.

On defense, Hayden Reece led the Tigers with 11 tackles and one pass breakup. Lee Menefee also played well with eight stops, 1.5 tackles for a loss, and a breakup.

Proctor was the key for Millsaps on offense. The Majors signal caller added 222 passing yards and two scores. Hector Sandoval, who recovered the late fumble for the Majors, added a game-high 15 tackles, two sacks, and three tackles for a loss.

Sewanee will close out its season at Hendrix next Saturday.

For more information on Sewanee Athletics, please visit You can also check the Tigers out on TwitterFacebookYouTube, and Instagram.